If you’re considering adopting a pet bird to be a close companion, there are many popular species to choose from, but they all have unique socialization requirements regarding other flock mates and training needs. As with most birds, companionship is a two-way thing. species that provide good company for humans often require the same social bonding in return.
Here are 7 most popular pet birds
- Parakeet/Budgie: They naturally have light green body but have been bred to have different colors such as gray, blue, white, and yellow. They have adult weight of 28grams and a life expectancy of 12-14years.
- Cockatiel: They have light gray body. Long dark gray tail, yellow face, yellow or gray crest, with an orange ear patch. Adult birds weigh 70-90 grams and has a life expectancy of 15-20 years
- Finch: they are small birds with 5-6 inches in length and weighing about 14 grams. Their life expectancy is 10 years if well catered for.
- Lovebirds: These are the smallest bird species. They are mostly green with blue lower back, white earrings, red beak, and blue lower back. Adult weight is about 56grams with life expectancy of 20 years.
- Quaker Parakeet: They are small parrots with white, blue or bright green body. Adult weight is about 115 grams and they can live up to 20-30 years.
- Doves: They are gentle birds with a black bill, purple feet, black eyes and different colors of gray, white, orange on the body. They can live up to 20 years.
- African grey parrot: They are known as the most intelligent pet birds. They have varying shades of gray with red tail feathers. They can live up to 20-35 years