Oral health and hygiene are some of the routine care your dog requires. It helps to prevent bad breath, gum disease, tartar accumulation, and tooth decay. Brushing your dog’s teeth is one of the easiest ways to maintain oral health and it can be done at home.
HOW TO BRUSH YOUR DOG’S TEETH.
- It should be done in a calm place and time.
- Make use of a dog-specific toothpaste and toothbrush.
- Touch the teeth with the toothbrush and let your dog get comfortable with them.
- Introduce the toothpaste to the dog and let them lick it from your hand.
- Add the toothpaste to the toothbrush.
- Let the dog lick the toothpaste from the toothbrush.
- Hold the upper lip and Start brushing from the top teeth. Begin at the centre and move to the sides. As you do this, praise your dog.
- Hold the lower lip and brush the bottom teeth. Start at the centre and brush sideways and back to the middle teeth.
- After the brushing exercise, reward and praise your dog.
With regular teeth brushing, your dog will get familiar with the process of brushing and it will get easier.
You can also use dental treats, dental bones and dental toys. They help to remove plaque and keep the mouth healthy.