a highly contagious viral disease caused by the Canine Parvovirus. It is very
deadly and it mostly affects puppies that are either not vaccinated or
improperly vaccinated usually within the ages of 6 weeks and 6 months.
In Nigeria, we’ve seen a couple of adult dogs come down with the disease.
There has been an increase in the reported cases of Parvo across
the country, which is why we have
put together these quick tips to help you.
There are two forms of Parvo:
2. Cardiac (attacks the heart muscle)
Transmission is mostly by contact with infected fecal material as well as the contaminated environment from healthy-looking dogs that are shedding the virus.
Some of the symptoms of Parvo are Lethargy, lack of appetite, vomiting,🤮 bloody diarrhea, sometimes a fever.🤒
Ways to Prevent Parvo
- Please protect puppies from any contact with other dogs till they are done with the appropriate vaccinations.😷
- Isolate puppies that show any symptoms of the disease.🐕
- Visit your vet for tests and treatment of infected puppies.🏥
- Disinfect all contaminated areas with bleach.🧴
- Insist on vaccines from a registered pet hospital where the cold chain is trusted.