Paracetamol, like many other human painkillers, is not recommended to be used in dogs. The active ingredient in paracetamol is Acetaminophen and there is a limit to the quantity a dog’s body can tolerate. Unlike humans, dogs do not have enough enzymes to metabolize (break down) paracetamol with a resultant effect of toxin buildup in the body.  These toxins limit the distribution of oxygen to the dog’s system and organs resulting in symptoms such as:

  • Vomiting.
  • Breathing problems
  • Excessive drooling. 
  • Swelling of the face, neck, or limbs.
  • Weakness.
  • Depression.

Although it is safe and recommended for usage in humans, it can be very toxic and fatal in dogs. If your dog is showing signs of pain, contact your Veterinarian immediately rather than jeopardize your pet’s health with paracetamol. 

Woofline Pets App